Tuesday, June 30, 2015

I'm a writer. Period.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy taking pictures. But every single picture of food I post here, has been taken with a cellphone. And they have changed throughout the years, from Iphones to lost Android phones that needed replacing with cheaper ones.

That said, I've noticed that many food bloggers also have a photography passion/hobby and their pics look very nice and professional. Hell, that's how food sells on menus, right? (And never looks like it on the menu, right.) So-what you see is legit, raw and real, like what I upload to Facebook raw and real. I am NOT a photographer. I have an artistic eye-I sketch, I paint and stuff...BUT....I dont have the means to really make this 'glossy'. I'm just putting this out here before I get trolled about the quality of pics.

You wanna know what the damn food looks like, MAKE IT and see for yourself. Its really that easy lol.

That said, SOME pics are decent while others are not. However like life and people, its the CONTENT and not the appearance that truly matters the most. (Yeah I know tho that you have to attract to learn content in the first place, blah blah.) Anyway, lets talk about some product replacement.
(Photo bombing Roommate sold separately.) Anyway, when going off of cow's milk, some people think that their only option is some soy or rice milk but that is no longer the case. As you can see pictured here, there is flax milk, cashew milk, almond milk-this here is actually a hybrid of almond/coconut milk, and there is coconut milk as well. And of course, there is soy and almond milk. Personally, the chocolate almond milk is simply to swoon for, as it is rich and creamy yet without the fats and crap in dairy cow milk.

I read one blogger call cow milk 'cow pus' and that's pretty gross but yeah. When you figure what all they are eating, the hormones they are given, the antibiotics-but to get the milk supposedly without all of that stuff, you are paying a ridiculous amount. I eyeballed at Wal-Mart and a gallon of organic milk THERE is over 6.00.

These milks pictured here run about 3 to 4 dollars. But it really is worth it. Of course if you are watching your sugars, then you want to get the unsweetened flavor. I personally stopped drinking dairy milk years ago because I'm lactose intolerant, but I still used cream in my coffee. CREAM, either 18% or 1/2 and 1/2. I would get SO pissed off if I had to resort to regular milk or God forbid-skim-in my cafe but I digress.

I use the milk for mixing into my oatmeal and I use it for recipes that call for milk or cream, say, in a soup. That's when the unsweetened flax really comes in handy, I personally like it the best and think it has the most health benefits. I don't really care for the taste of soy milk but the nut milks taste just fine to me, so for pouring on cereal or making a healthy pancake or waffle I'm thinking this is totally the way to go.

I have put into coffee and blech. Not for me. But since I've quit smoking and changed my diet, I don't much have a taste for coffee like I used to. I drink about 1/2 a cup in the mornings and I do put the nut milk in it, but I drink it because coffee does have some antioxidant properties and studies have shown that is beneficial now for heart patients. (Go figure. For years they said caffeine will mess with your heart causing arrhythmia's. To be fair, in some people it does, they are sensitive and the energy drinks WILL kill you and your heart, just sayin') BUT the hospitals and cardiac units will serve you up as much coffee as you want-I laid up in ICU drinking it all day long when I had my heart attack. (It helped metabolize the nicotine out of my system faster. That's why people smoke more when they drink coffee and vice-versa-nicotine makes caffeine metabolize faster. When you quit either, you need less of both.)

Anyhoo.....experiment with the non-dairy milks. Now there are some very adventurous hard core souls out in the world who even make their own nut milks, I have seen this on a number of blogs. I assume it's much more economical and you control the ingredients but meh. For me I think there are some things I will always just buy. Never say never and all that but I'll consider this a 'pre-packaged fast' food. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment