Monday, June 29, 2015

Why I say "Low Class" Vegan

I’m really not trying to throw myself under a bus or anything. I actually think I’m a pretty classy chick, over-all. But I swear like a truck driver, have lived ghetto fucking fabulous (including in my car once)- have lived on food stamps while still having to change my diet to healthy.

I hear arguments all the time that you gotta have money to eat healthy and this stereotype is sorta true-hence “Whole Paycheck” as the nick-name for Whole Foods. And it would appear that a microcosm of people are the ‘type’ to be vegan, exparte ‘hippies’ if you will-many of them HARD CORE.

As in, you can’t cheat on this ‘diet’ worth a damn, its all about animal love, liberal tree hugging  kumbaya singing law of attraction practicing moveon,org petition writing yoga pant wearing hemp oil rubbing weed smoking hooka blowing hybrid Honda driving mountain visiting bike riding photography arty dancer writer popping xanax on zoloft popping motherfuckers who have cornered the market on this. They typically live pretty urban-either in the major cities or some progressive suburb of one, and yes, tend to have education higher than high school.

I think the ethical treatment of animals is very important, but its my health first that drives me to this. The fact that it spares animals lives and cruelty is just bonus-as many would say the fact that it makes my body healthier, loving the animals is bonus.

Yes, I can fit that "liberal" stereotype. I can also fit the stereotype of which I have already outlined-poor, small town living, blue collar working surrounded by conservative Christian types who live on a diet of Busch beer, hamburger and dreams of Obama out of office. I have also lived in neighborhoods of color and variety, where the cultures just don’t know from ‘quinoa’ and don’t want to know. Where ‘lard’ is Lord. Be it black or Hispanic-lard is a big part of the cuisine.

Even ethnic groups who come here, when they Americanize their foods-i.e. Chinese or Thai-they put a shit ton of salt and sugar in it to make it palatable to the masses…..
Anyway-my rambling point here is that you don’t have to be wealthy, collegiate, urban white sheltered pretentious roasting your own coffee brewing in a Keurig type while wearing your Polo's and Birkenstock going to the Fish concert because Jerry is dead type-stereotypes are meant to be broken.
I wanted to call this ‘ghetto vegan’ but that name was taken already. But the inference is the same. You can be a confederate flag loving coal rolling Obama hating gay marriage protagonist refusing to call Bruce Catilyn God fearing Nascar loving individual and still let go of that Hamburger Helper mentality and life a better physical life. Hey-no worries about Obamacare then, right? So let’s get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment