Thursday, July 16, 2015

Ridiculously crazy veggie mixed up soup-stewish.....

The first rule of Vegan Club, is that there is no rule of Vegan Club-other than you know, avoid that animal shit.

When it comes to everything else-it's all about you. There is no 'right' or 'wrong' way to do any dish. There is 'traditional' and there is 'tweeking'. I like to tweak. I get my ideas from a traditional, and then I just go with whatever sounds good/I have on hand/have a taste for.

Today it was Minestrone. Now I like the original classic Minestrone just fine, but I also noticed I had a bunch of veggies so why not throw em' in the pot? Now when I list the ingredients, it's going to sound like a shit ton of ingredients but I am certain you probably have most on hand. Or if not-use most of what you have on hand. Make your own mix. Use your own spice combination that sounds good to you. I can give you a 'blue print', but don't be afraid to 'concoct.' This is your food, your kitchen, your pantry, spices and fridge-so go with what you have and what sounds good to your tastebuds. I tend to listen to my body and it's 'cravings' and try and figure out what it really wants-protein? Vitamin C? Iron?
Our bodies are pretty smart like that. However intially we crave all the 'junk' foods-the sweets, the salty chips, the gooey cheese, the meats because those foods are addictive. And that will be the next post following this one. It's two for Thursday on posts since I missed yesterday as well. Or maybe I'll do 3 post. Maybe I'll not do another post til Monday. See the point? Go what what you feel, what works for you. Or you could make this exactly how I did and have a mouth of yummy sensation that is reminicent of Campbell's 'ABC vegetable soup (only WAY better tasting.)


I know, I need better photography. This is just temporary. I've got some great pics. Promise. But as usual, make it your damn self and see what it really looks like.  Here's the recipe:

garlic
yellow onion
carrots
celery
green pepper
peas
corn
zucchini
snow peas
can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
cabbage blend (pre made cole slaw mix is perfect)
can garbanzo beans
can kidney beans
ditilini or other small pasta
fresh parsely


bay leaf
pink salt
cracked black pepper
garlic powder
celery salt
seasoned salt
chipolte season blend
adobo 

This has protein (the 2 beans and peas) it has a starch (the baby pasta) veggies, grain (corn) and I use avocado as a garnish to give a healthy fat and for a fruit so it's the perfect complete protein/balanced meal. 

Oh, to make, you saute the garlic, onion, celery, peppers and carrots til semi-soft, then throw the rest of it in, cover it all with veggie broth or water to make it 'soupy'. You'll be adding the pasta though so make sure its pretty soupy to start. Add the rest except the avocado and bring to a boil, simmer covered for 45 min to an hour. 

Garnish with the avocado and anything else you like-pico de gallo, jalapeno, hot sauce, even some cheese if you aren't totally vegan. 

You can also do a veggie stew, where it's not so soupy, these ingredients are a bit different but same concept: 

I did not add any greens such as kale or spinach to either, but that's because you can do a salad on the side with the greens and some super-healthy watercress or romaine lettuce as well. If I'm really feeling the need to pig out, I'll munch on some sourdough bread and dip that in the soup/stews as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment